2018-2019 Yearlong Teacher Educator Institute
- Promote attention to integration of both teacher and student social-emotional skills development within ongoing courses/program.
- Provide understanding of, and ability to use Center for Reaching & Teaching the Whole Child (CRTWC) 7 Anchor Competencies Framework and Resource Guide to respond to new TPE’s, integrating SEL/CRT into course and fieldwork.
- Develop participants’ ability to use an “SEL/CRT lens” to guide their instructional practice.
- Provide resources created by CRTWC to integrate SEL/CRT into participants’ K-8 teacher preparation programs.
- Provide strategies and support to institutionalize SEL/CRT into participants’ teacher preparation programs.
- Provide a professional learning community for faculty engaged in programmatic change and research.
Participants will be able to:
- articulate the connection between social-emotional learning, culturally responsive teaching , and academic achievement;
- explain how using an SEL/CRT lens is an academic intervention in support of common core/academic standards;
- create course/program modifications that integrate SEL/CRT, using resources (videos, case studies, teaching activities) created and provided by CRTWC;
- create a plan of action to encourage other faculty and supervisors to integrate SEL/CRT into their teacher preparation programs;
- provide professional development to Cooperating Teachers in SEL/CRT practices to link course and fieldwork;
- identify programmatic “pressure points” that can support institutionalization of SEL/CRT practices into their teacher preparation program;
- assess the impact of their efforts to integrate SEL/CRT into their programs using assessment tools and an Observation Protocol developed by CRTWC; and
- use their work to develop research conference proposals and publications.
At the end of the year, each participating institution will be asked to provide the following as a contribution to the body of knowledge about integration of SEL/CRT in teacher preparation:
- revised course syllabi and/or program description of activities, assignments, assessments, and resources that support development of their teacher candidates’ SEL/CRT lens as part of their teaching practice; and
- a description of successes participants have in bringing SEL/CRT to their teacher preparation programs, as well as the challenges they encounter.