Teacher Educator Institute 2020-2021
In response to COVID-19, CRTWC Teacher Educator Institute (TEI) will now be offered ONLINE!
Sorry, registration is closed.
We are all going through a time professionally, personally, and in our communities, that none of us have ever experienced. It is bringing up feelings of overwhelm, fear, uncertainty and helplessness. Ironically, just when we need to come together, we are asked to engage in social distancing. Luckily we have the Internet!
During these trying times it is so important to bring together social-emotional learning and culturally responsive teaching practices to address the ever increasing systemic inequities. It is critical to address the social, emotional, and cultural (SEC) competencies that are essential to maintaining the resilience and perseverance needed by ourselves as well as well as our teacher candidates, and the children with whom they work.
The yearlong Center for Reaching & Teaching the Whole Child’s Teacher Educator Institute (TEI) provides in-depth professional development in how to integrate social, emotional, and cultural competencies into your teacher preparation program. Participants will receive a copy of our new book, Teaching with a Social, Emotional, and Cultural Lens: A Framework for Educators and Teacher Educators, published by Harvard Education Press, as well as the CRTWC Anchor Competencies Framework and Resource Guide, as part of this program. The Institute includes 2 online professional development workshops (total of five full days) and four group video conference calls during the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Support integration of social, emotional, and cultural competencies within courses/programs, using the CRTWC Anchor Competencies Framework and Resource Guide.
- Provide an understanding of, and ability to use CRTWC Anchor Competencies Framework and Resource Guide to respond to state standards that require attention to social-emotional learning and culturally responsive pedagogy.
- Develop participants’ ability to use the “social, emotional, and cultural lens” to guide instructional practice.
- Provide resources (e.g., videos, case studies, activities, lessons) created by CRTWC to integrate social, emotional, and cultural competencies into K-12 teacher preparation programs.
- Provide resources developed by CRTWC (e.g., interview, survey, and focus group protocols) that can be used by teacher preparation programs to document/assess program implementation of social, emotional, and cultural competencies.
- Provide a professional learning community for faculty engaged in programmatic change and research.
Participants will be able to:
- articulate how their program can use the CRTWC Anchor Competencies Framework to respond to SEL and CRT state standards.
- explain how using a social, emotional, and cultural lens is an academic intervention in support of common core/academic standards.
- create course/program modifications that integrate social, emotional, and cultural competencies, using resources (videos, case studies, teaching activities, observation protocol) developed by CRTWC.
- create a plan of action to integrate social, emotional, and cultural competencies in their teacher preparation programs.
- identify programmatic “pressure points” that support institutionalization of social, emotional, and cultural competencies in their teacher preparation programs.
- document/assess efforts to do programmatic integration of social, emotional, and cultural competencies using tools such as an Observation Protocol developed by CRTWC.
- use their work at the Institute to develop research conference proposals and publications.
Workshop #1: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 through Friday, June 19, 2020 from 9:00 am – 3:30 pm PDT
Workshop #2: Thursday, June 17, 2021 through Friday, June 18, 2021 from 9:00 am – 3:30 pm PDT
Four 90-minute group video conference calls during the academic year to provide continuing support, sharing of ideas, and professional development. Dates to be announced.
This will be a synchronous online institute.
Who Should Attend
Faculty, department chairs, deans, university supervisors, and cooperating teachers working in teacher preparation programs.
- $2,200 per participant
- Registration ends on April 17, 2020
- Tuition also includes the following:
- CRTWC Teacher Educator Institute Binder
- CRTWC Framework Resource Guide
- Our new book, Teaching with a Social, Emotional, and Cultural Lens: A Framework for Teachers and Teacher Educators (Markowitz and Bouffard, Harvard Education Press, 2020)
- Please provide shipping address to let us know the best address for us to send you materials prior to the first workshop.